The Singapore Recreation Club (SRC) was founded on 23rd June 1883 and was officially established on 1st July 1883. The Club was housed in a building on Waterloo Street.

The first Officers and Members of Committee were :
• President - Mr J R MacFarlane
• Hon. Sec. - Mr B E D'Aranjo
• Hon. Treasurer - Dr C V Norris
• Captain - Mr A W Clarke
• Committee - Messrs F Clarke, J Ganno and J D Stewart.

In 1883, a Pavilion was erected on the site at the Padang allotted to the Club. Two years later, the Club adopted navy blue and red as its corporate colours: navy blue for sportsmanship and red for the brotherhood of man in sports.